Monday, 27 August 2012

Victorian Wing Chair pt 7


Arm caps hand-stitched in place.


Outer arms hand-stitched.


Finally the back is stitched on.


The finished article!

Friday, 10 August 2012

Victorian Wing Chair pt 6


The seat is now built up and stitched in.



The seat is given a thin layer of horsehair.


The seat is covered with a barrier felt and work begins covering the back and arms.

Thursday, 9 August 2012

Victorian Wing Chair pt 5


Having sorted out the back and arms my attention has turned to the seat.  I have re-webbed to provide a base for the springs which are carefully placed and tied in to prevent sideways movement.

Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Victorian Wing Chair pt 4



I decided to completely re-build the back, it was full of matted woolen felt, which had become rather lumpy and uncomfortable.  I used ginger fibre to build up the bulk, then gave it a thin layer of horse hair.  You can see the start of the horse hair layer at the lower part of the back.

Victorian Wing Chair pt 3


Braces added, re-doweled, sturdy frame!  I cut the braces from some well seasoned ash.

Victorian Wing Chair pt 2


The seat will need to be completely re-built as most of the scrim is torn, and the springs need to be re-tied.


Upon removing the seat I discovered a great deal of furniture beetle damage, a lot of fresh dust!  I have treated the wood to prevent any further damage.


The dowels holding the frame together have been completely eaten away, I'll need to replace these and perhaps add some extra braces to keep the frame sturdy.


Victorian Wing Chair

I recently picked up this chair for reupholstery.  It's a nice piece, looks rather gothic to me with the scroll shape at the front of the arm and top of the wing.